I am proud to announce my first Pessimiss giveaway!
A selection of my most favourite and oft-used brands have generously sponsored the perfect lineup of prizes to make sure your Valentine’s Day is memorable (and cool). I’m a total romantic. People that dismiss Valentine’s Day as a commercial excuse to make money and be cynical better get outta my way. If you also love love, have a browse, read the competition rules, and enter!
The competition starts today and runs until Friday the 4th of February. Winners announced Monday the 7th of February.
1st Prize – Big Love
1. One night’s stay at the epic Old Mac Daddy luxury trailer park in Elgin.
I recently spent a weekend there, so I can tell you first hand that you’re guaranteed a fun-filled, super tranquil and beautiful stay. Stay in one of their selection of designer trailers, each one custom created by a team of South African artists and designers. Take a stroll down to the lake with a book, lounge by the pool with a G&T, take a drive out to Paul Cluver or Houwhoek, and be sure to make the most of Brinny Breezes, Old Mac Daddy’s laidback resident restaurant. Read more about it here.
2. Bestsellers courtesy of TWO Clothing.
The Double Dress & Pleated Scarf are two of my favourites, and I am nothing short of green with envy that I will be handing them over to one of you lovers on the 7th of February. TWO clothing is feminine, flattering and such good quality, something that is sometimes a rarity in locally made clothing.
3. A bottle of Pierre Jourdan Cuvee Belle Rose and two champagne flutes, which you will sip with your significant other, wearing your TWO dress, overlooking the majestic Elgin countryside. The Belle Rose is as luscious as it sounds and you should celebrate Valentine’s day with nothing less.
4. A kilogram of coffee, ground before your very eyes, from Deluxe Coffeeworks.
This one is a little thorn in my side, because I am widely acknowledged to be a coffee snob second to none. Choose from Deluxe’s range of intoxicating, exotic blends and then let me know all about it. Or better yet, share it with me. Deluxe is my favourite spot for a shot of pure, black velveteen coffee bliss, great music and citybowl cool. They’re friendly, too (and they just got two mentions in the February issue of ELLE!) Find them here.
5. Dinner for two at Hudson’s Burger Joint
If you live in Cape Town and you haven’t had a Hudson’s burger accompanied by their famous Lagerita and Tone Loc’s Funky Cold Medina, then you better get on down to Kloof St. In Summer their outdoor section is open to the stars, and it’s a great people watching spot, too. Kick start your Valentine’s Day with my favourite, The Wise Guy (if you can handle your chilli) and a side of chilli poppers with relish.
6. A massage at Mooi Hair & Beauty Salon
Mooi rocks. Besides the stylish interiors, great location, and the fact that they give you a homemade cupcake and a mini plunger of good coffee (or wine!) with your haircut, they’re also really nice and they know their stuff. They’re the only salon I trust with my hair in Cape Town. And word on the street is that they do a mean massage, too. Iron out the post-work kinks with a pre-Valentine’s massage on Mooi!
7. Two movie tickets to The Labia Theatre
The Labia is a Cape Town classic. It’s also home to bi-monthly Saturday goods market You & Me & Everyone We Know, the Wavescape Surf Film festival and numerous other cool initiatives, not to mention the best in arthouse, foreign and mainstream film. Use your Valentine’s tickets for a good, old-fashioned date; popcorn, slushpuppies and a healthy dose of liquor.
8. Jewelry by Chloe Essery of Blackbird
Chloe’s trademark pendants and rings are much-loved by Capetonians. Inspired by local flora, old coins and beautiful fabrics, Chloe works sterling silver, resin and enamels into beautiful pieces that always inspire envy. I have wanted a Blackbird pendant for, well, years, and have actually twice bought my mom Blackbird pendants on special occasions.
9. A custom made fascinator by milliner, Crystal Birch
Crystal is a friend of mine, so maybe I’m biased, but this girl is going places. Her vision is colourful, psychedelic, inspired and infectious. I have personally worn one of her Flight headpieces and I felt like the coolest person in the room. Get your hands on a Crystal Birch something now, because one day she’s going to be Albertus Swanepoel’s right hand woman, and you’re gonna be the lucky owner of an original.
10. The Cat’s Meow – a vintage voucher to the value of R300.
The Cat’s Meow is my favourite vintage shop in Cape Town. Owned and run by mother/daughter team Barbara and Laura Meek, it is home to a carefully curated collection of envy-inducing vintage beauties. You can read more on my love for The Cat’s Meow here. In the meantime, get your entry in and you could be the lucky owner of a Cat’s Meow classic of your very own.
11. Two tickets to a Moonlit Movie screening
Run by my ingenious and resourceful friend, Devin Herd, the Moonlit Movie screenings take place beneath the stars at a top secret location in the city bowl bi-monthly. Flighting a selection of left-of-centre classics and iconic film, Devin and his team pull out all the stops to ensure that their exclusive, 60-seater screening pays homage to all the trappings of the classic cinematic experience. Details of the location to be shared with the lucky winner upon collection of prize.
2nd Prize – Baby Love
1. A hand crafted necklace by Megan Fogarty of Oh Dear, Megan
Megan is a fellow Knysnarian and creator of some of the most unusual pieces of locally made jewelry I’ve seen in a while. Get your hands on one of her pieces before she’s famous! Her time piece rings are my favourite.
2. A cut and blowdry at Mooi Hair & Beauty Salon
Refer to number 6 of Prize 1, where I cover all the reasons why Mooi is the bizness. If you haven’t made the important choice about who to entrust with your tresses, then this could be lifechanging for you.
3. The World’s Most Epic Valentine’s Day Compilation, compiled by music blogger/critic Lance James Daniels
What’s Valentine’s Day without music? Lance Daniels has excellent and eclectic taste in music, and he is my first choice when it comes to well-rounded and thoughtful compilations for any occasion. Get your V-Day groove on to Lance’s personal selection of the most romantic tracks in the world. [I cannot vouch for the inclusion of Barry White (or anything similar) in the compilation.] Lance is also lovingly creating custom made packaging for the compilation, because he’s a kick ass designer as well as a music aficionado. Get it while it’s hot!
4. Two sets of double movie tickets to The Labia
1. Comment on this post and tell me which is your favourite prize and why.
2. Tweet or post the competition link to Facebook or another social network and let me know you’ve done it.
3. Subscribe to my RSS feed for an extra entry.
Old School Rules:
1. The competition runs from Monday 24 January to Friday 4 February 2011. Winner announced Monday 7 February 2011.
2. Only Cape Town residents may enter, unless you know someone in CT that can bring your prizes to you (if you live in JHB, PE, DBN or Parys).
3. Winner chosen randomly.